As a commercial contractor, our job is to stay on track with the timeline and budget. We make this promise to ourselves and to the clients verbally but also in a formally-written and signed contract. The contract details the scope of the project. However, bumps in the road happen. Materials could be delayed. Workers could be sick. The wrong item was ordered. There are several reasons a project could be thrown off track. Of course, it’s always a good idea to account for potential problems in the contract (building in extra time).
As a full-service, Florida-licensed general contractor with extensive experience in many types of construction, including commercial construction, we wanted to share with you the different ways you can boost your productivity on a job site or throughout a project, whether or not you’ve hit a rough patch or a bump on the road.
Tips for Staying on Time and Budget Throughout a Construction Job
- Have a relationship with the clients where you share your experience and knowledge from day one to the final day.
- Recruit employees who are qualified for the job.
- Invest in technology. Whether it’s construction management software, drones, robots, or tracking systems, technology can help better speed up processes and communication.
- Ask a lot of questions and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Ask questions to your supervisor, employer, employees, clients, vendors, subcontractors, etc. You want to make sure you fully understand what’s going on.
- Always share updates with everyone involved in a project, whether face-to-face or through software programs you use.
- Walk around to everyone on the job site to make sure everyone is OK and on the same page.
- Make sure everyone knows who they need to report to or share updates/information with.
- Get all your employees properly trained on the equipment and software you’re using in your project.
- Conduct frequent meetings in-person with your team.
- Check in with employees and clients often.
- Monitor progress closely and regularly.
- Keep updates short.
- Tell your workers to update as soon as their finished a task.
- Create a risk management plan.
Looking for a Commercial General Contractor in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl?
If you practice these productivity tips above, your contractor business, team, and projects will flow more seamlessly and will be more likely to finish projects on-time and within budget. For any contractor, staying on track and delivering a project on time and within budget is a challenge, but with the right plan, tools, and communication, you’ll start off on the right foot.
At FGC, we made the investment in web-based software utilized to track, archive and monitor your project minute by minute. When we work with our clients, we don’t just build a building, we build a relationship with them.
Our team has served multiple industries utilizing cutting-edge technology from estimating to the daily management via online based scheduling and archival software where you can see live adjustments to progress, selection changes, and even budget adjustments.
Our team has extensive experience in commercial construction serving in retail, hospitality, industrial, education, food service and many more. We build commercial spaces in the Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida area. To get started with building with us, click our commercial construction in Ponte Vedra Beach contact page or call us at 904-685-6332.