The large Baby Boomer generation is aging, and their retail demands and needs are now coming second to another large generation: Millennials. The way Millennials shop is different than preceding generations. Millennials love convenience, trends, discounts, and engaging environments with experiences. Retailers and retail spaces need to adapt to this younger generation’s needs. We’re seeing shorter leases, more pop-up stores, and temporary locations appearing. Landlords, along with developers and contractors, need to start refocusing and researching their project demographics and identify retailers who will draw in these Millennials. Retails spaces need to be designed with the Millennial shopper in mind.
As a full-service, licensed general contractor in Florida, our team at FGC, Inc. has extensive experience designing and building commercial construction and commercial construction management. From project to project, we provide more than a simple bid to build. Since it’s important to consider the Millennial/younger generations when designing and building commercial retail space now, we want to share some things to keep in mind when designing/building retail space for this generation.
Retail Space Designs and Trends Millennials Will Love
- Millennials like spaces that transition between the indoor and outdoor areas. They like patios, porches, decks, large windows and doors, indoor plants, etc. Bringing the outdoors in helps keep people in stores longer.
- The younger generation like easy-to-navigate stores.
- This generation likes stores integrated and connected to technology.
- Stores that feel like “home” or reflect the neighborhood/area in their design are liked more than stores who are “colder” or cookie-cutter looking.
- Millennials love engagement and want experiences in the stores whether it’s a touchscreen or gaming stations.
- Millennials love convenience so creating a store that has space for different types of retail items is attractive to them.
- Millennials like unique store design that makes the store different and special from other brands and competitors.
- Younger generations like mixed materials. For example, mixing old materials/furnishings with modern things. They also like combining things that don’t traditional go together, or blended styles such as brick with marble.
- Copper is becoming a popular thing to use instead of gold or silver in retail spaces.
- Younger people like raw, unfinished materials, stainless steel and the handmade look.
- The younger generation loves monochrome color schemes, exposed beams, patterned wallpaper, chalkboard walls/signs, stonework (real or fake), and concrete flooring.
- Lighting can draw in consumers and help them stay longer. LED lighting and different lighting technologies incorporated into a retail space can make your space eccentric and appealing.
Looking for a Commercial General Contractor in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl?
If you’re ready to build and looking for a commercial general contractor, FGC, Inc. can help you build a commercial space, specifically a retail space, to fit the needs of the market. At FGC, Inc. we believe in providing innovative design and construction solutions to meet our customers’ needs and problems. We take pride in the completion of construction projects on time, within budget. While working with us, we can connect you with realtors, bankers, architects, engineers, vendors, and more, to ensure your project thrives after the construction process is done.
At FGC, Inc., we have extensive experience in commercial, residential, and multi-family construction. We build commercial spaces in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. To get started with building with us, click commercial construction in Ponte Vedra Beach contact page or call us at 904-685-6332.